Herbal Medicine uses plants that have medicinal value to help treat a wide range of health problems. Its use has been recorded over thousands of years and still has relevance in today’s world. We use whole plants believing that is more beneficial than isolated plant constituents. Herbs are gentle, safe and effective with very few side-effects. They can be used to treat specific health conditions, prevent the recurrence of health problems or to promote good health when taken on a regular basis.
The approach of a herbalist is always to try and treat the underlying root cause of the illness, alongside the symptoms. Medical herbalists combine traditional knowledge of plants with more recent scientific research to create an individually tailored treatment plan. Nutritional and lifestyle advice is also included if necessary. As herbalists we are trained to give herbs in conjunction with orthodox medicine and be aware of any possible contra-indications. Our role is not in conflict with your GP. Most conditions treated by a GP can also be supported by herbs.
Commonly seen conditions in herbal practice:
- Skin conditions: eczema, psoriasis, acne, fungal infections.
- Digestive conditions: IBS, constipation, diarrhoea, indigestion, peptic ulcers, colitis, high cholesterol.
- Circulatory conditions: High blood pressure, varicose veins and ulcers.
- Respiratory conditions: colds, asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, hay fever.
- Muscolskeltal disorders: arthrtis, bursitis, gout, tendonitis.
- Endocrine disorders: Type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome.
- Women’s health: period pains, irregular menstruation, PMS, fibroids, fertility, menopausal symptoms.
- Men’s health: BPH, urinary conditions, stress and infertility.
- Children’s health: skin disorders, allergies, tonsillitis.
- Emotional Health: Anxiety, stress, insomnia and depression.
- Supportive treatment for chronic illnesses.
The above conditions give you an idea of what herbal treatments can support. However, it is also important to emphasise that herbalists, contrary to conventional biomedicine, treat the person and not the disease. We always strive to see the person as a whole and provide healthcare based on a holistic model.